Tuesday, January 5, 2010

AJJ EuroTrip: Wrap Up

I apologize it has taken me so long to write this. I have been very busy since I returned. Nevertheless, I think the pictures (below) tell most of the story, so I will just use this post to clarify where we were and Befuddle a bit…

Where Were We:

  • Maastricht, Netherlands
  • Bruxelles, Belgium (snowed in…no Milan)
  • Antwerp, Belgium
  • Bruges, Belgium

Belgium Befuddlements

  • Does Israel know something that the rest of the world does not? When I went through security, I kept my shoes on and I didn’t have to chug my Nalgene. Meanwhile, they have one of the best security records. Share the secrets…

  • I think I have a skewed view of life, having lived in NYC and grown up in the Tri-State area. Apparently, the rest of the world functions according to the sun! If it doesn’t rise until 9:30, they’re not at work ‘till 10. Although this isn’t very helpful if you arrive in Bruxelles at 6:30 A.M., we can definitely learn something here.

  • Yes…I actually slept like a homeless person in Bruxelles Central Station on Saturday night, because we missed the last shuttle to the airport. It was a humbling experience.

  • We have new Greek friends…The camaraderie between travelers who were stuck in Belgium, screwed by the weather this week was truly amazing!

  • People are very trusting here. We met Esra on the train and then she came out with us. She’s AWESOME, but what was she thinking?

  • This place would not work with moochers. There are way too many opportunities to cheat the honor system…oh the welfare state!

  • As I mentioned earlier, it seems that Belgium does not believe in indoor heating. Our hotel had a bathroom heater for the entire room, and you can just forget about being warm in a public building.

  • As Jason likes to remind us, unless something changes soon, many believe that, “Europe will just be a big museum one day.”

There’s a lot more I could share, but I think that’s enough for right now. I had a phenomenal time on this trip! Although I believe Europe is BEAUTIFUL and would like to continue my travels there, I am eager to head to the developing world. A lot of Europe seems the same to me and I believe you can get a much better feel for unique cultures and ways of living in Africa as well as South America. I hope I will have the opportunity in the future to continue my adventures near and far.

Until next time…

~Adi

P.S. Best of all…my whole trip cost under $550!

P.P.S. I think I'm guilty, even though I truly believe in CARPE DIEM!...Maybe Tomorrow - The Psychology Behind Putting Off What Can Be Enjoyed Now

AYS

1 comment:

  1. According to an article I read (haAretz) the secret to keeping liquids is...racial profiling. Make of that what you will. :P -Zan

    ReplyDelete